Sunday, August 7, 2011

Why FZ150i?

After many months of yearning, finally bought a bike.

It all started when Sam Tan bought his scooter and was sharing his wonderful riding experiences in the old church office at Kompleks Kemajuan. I started looking around since then...

After much consideration, I've decided on the Yamaha FZ150i for the following reasons:

1) price & resale value
Its the cheapest 150cc compared to the Kawasaki Ninja 150 and Honda CBR150. If resale value wasn't an issue, I would buy a Naza Blade 250 (which looks pretty good!)

I bought it slightly above market value, due to the convenience of the workshop near my house and quick availability.


2) looks
The "naked" bike / street fighter concept looks rugged and super stylo. Still considering whether to add some aesthetic panels & visor & carry boxes. Hmm...

These are all Yamaha FZ150i, some modified beyond recognition:




* Image linked from: http://fz150i.blogspot.com/


3) ride comfort
The FZ150i is the most upright among the 2 other Kawasaki and Honda bikes. I still have to lean very slightly forward, and causing strain to my wrists. I guess time will be my best teacher on this.


4) environmentally friendly
This bike is equipped with a 4-stroke engine and fuel injection technology. Gone the the white smoke from the 2-stroke engines and inefficient carburetors. From Wikipedia: "The primary difference between carburetors and fuel injection is that fuel injection atomizes the fuel by forcibly pumping it through a small nozzle under high pressure, while a carburetor relies on low pressure created by intake air rushing through it to add the fuel to the airstream."

Some find fuel injection systems unresponsive, but I don't find any lag on the FZ150i. But thats just me, a 1 day biker...


Cons:
- Performance: Slower than the Kawasaki Ninja and Honda CBR and Suzuki Belang
- "Naked" bike looks bare compared to the 2 superbike looking bikes above, also no visor.

No comments:

Post a Comment