Sunday, September 18, 2011

The First Cut is the Deepest...

KL rush hour has been badly affected over the last week due to road closures at Merdeka Square. Last Monday (12 Sept), some colleagues were 2 hours late to office. Good thing I rode my bike to office the entire week...

Riding to work on the fateful Thursday (15 Sept) morning, miscalculated a bend at Midvalley and was brought down to the ground at around 70km/h. Bike swerved into the grass/gravel and I feel chest down, without my usual protective gear. Sliding a couple of meters, I thought to myself, "so, this is how a bike accident feels like".

It all happened very fast. I got up, tried to stop the bleeding from my right hand, but could get my jacket off. A good Samaritan, who I only know as Sakhti, came to my rescue. He took out my tie, bound my wrist and took off my jacket to wrap around my hand. Rode me to a clinic in Bangsar where I was cleaned and stitched up. This is after the stitches:










My wife picked me up from the clinic and brought me home.

That same Thursday night, Eddy and I went on a mission to retrieve the bike, which was left on the roadside. When we arrived, we found the gear lever was bent 180 degrees and there was no way to put it right. I locked the bike's disc brake and we retreated.




Nothing happened on Friday as it was a holiday (Malaysia Day). On Saturday afternoon, Eddy helped me again, this time, to replace the gear lever. However, upon reaching the crash site:




The mirrors, rims and tyres were stolen :(

Drove back to the workshop, to get a pick-up truck to tow the bike back. Thanks and much kudos to Eddy for his help this weekend. This is the damage to the helmet:






Thank God that:
- there were no other vehicles involved
- I didn't fall on the tar road, but on the grass
- the full face helmet took the worst beating
- my wife, family & friends for their support
- Sakhti turned back to help

Although this is one of the most painful experiences I've had, I'm also very thankful to God, my family, friends and even a random stranger who stopped by to help. I will do the same in return.

2 comments:

  1. I really adore you for disclosing your experience on the accident. Its a great honor to read your message. I was once there and i realize the Gloves protect us. Im on the IZ2 brand. it works and the full face helmet , i have the SOL 68s . It protected me fro head injury. Keep it up brother to tell your experiences and message on safety. Ride safe,Pray a lot

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Namesh for your comment.

    ReplyDelete